Posted: 5:28 pm Wednesday, May 28th, 2014
By George Mathis
It has been written that happy families are all alike, but every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.
An unhappy family in New Mexico is no longer together after police charged single father Terry Cunningham with child abuse for keeping his three children in a home with his brother’s corpse and rooms filled with feces.
Albuquerque’s ABC News station reports the children — two girls ages 9 and 11 and a wheelchair-bound boy, 15 — were only allowed to shower once a week.
Officials said the home had excrement in several rooms, including the bedrooms and in beds. The children shared a room that had a tarp for a roof.
The landlord of the now-condemned home said the family moved in about five years ago. Several people, including the landlord, reported the unclean conditions to authorities.
The deceased brother, who was not identified, was in his 50s and had been dead for several days.
The kids are now with child protective services.
The dad is in jail, where maybe he can learn how to keep a cell clean.
I’ve not been able to find any info concerning the mother of the children.
The only explanation for this sort of thing is mental illness. I’ve watched quite a few of the “hoarding” shows on TV, and it is troubling how sad some people’s lives become.
I think I will tidy up my desk now.
More Wednesday headlines:
- Georgia dad charged with forcing kid to carry stone
- Teacher suspended after kids who can’t pay to use bathroom wet pants
- Texas bar apologizes for domestic violence ‘joke’
- VA said to be run like a ‘crime syndicate’
- Pakistan woman stoned to death for marrying man she loved
- Indian court to decide if Hindu guru is dead or just meditating
- Duke student sues for degree after being expelled for sex assault
- Court upholds Constitutional right to film police
- Michigan raises minimum wage to $9.25
- Group calls for $15 minimum wage
- Robots may soon replace fast food workers
- Sister gets $11.6 million bill after brother dies in state facility
- Rich, elderly couple enjoys robbing churches
- Only 42 percent of U.S. kids are considered fit
- Dog who attacked kid and was scared away by cat is euthanized
- Depressed goat ends hunger strike after being reunited with burro pal
About the Author
News to Me is a blog (not a news article) written Monday-Friday and any other day George finds spare time to do such a thing. George has been a local news editor with The Atlanta Journal-Constitution since 1999. Earlier attempts at journalism included stops in Valdosta, Cordele and Tifton. A lifelong resident of Georgia, he was raised in Berrien County. He’s fond of guitars, homemade beer and finding interesting news nuggets on the wire, Internet and Twitter.