Posted: 1:08 pm Monday, June 16th, 2014
By George Mathis
Childhood diseases once thought vanquished in this country are back, in large part because people like Megan Elizabeth Everett exist.
Everett, a mother from Sunrise, Fla., is sought on federal charges after kidnapping her 2-year-old daughter, allegedly to prevent the girl from being vaccinated and ever having to learn “black history.”
Everett, 22, was last seen on May 6, when the girl’s dad, Robert Baumann left Lilly with her mom in compliance with a shared custody agreement, reports the Sun-Sentinel. Everett was supposed to return Lilly to her dad a week later but she’s not been seen since.
The dad said Everett “wanted to home-school my daughter. I didn’t want that to happen. She didn’t want Lilly to learn about black history. She just wanted her to learn about the Confederacy.”
Baumann had planned to have his daughter vaccinated the next time he had custody, he said.
Everett may be in Georgia.
After having Lilly, she began living with Carlos Lesters, who is described in court documents as a Confederate-flag-waving gun enthusiast with family members in Georgia and Kentucky.
Lesters alleges he has no idea where his girlfriend took her daughter, but did share a note she left behind.
“You are a great dad,” Everett wrote. “If I let them take her and vaccinate her and brainwash her, I wouldn’t be doing what’s right. I cannot let a judge tell me how my daughter should be raised. We will miss you. But I had to leave.”
Lesters, who does not face criminal charges, said his girlfriend ain’t coming back.
In court documents Lesters is reported to have said Everett “knew she would have to live her life as a fugitive. However, in her mind, the time that she spent with her daughter ‘free’ of Baumann would be ‘worth it,’ regardless of how brief the time was.”
The Sun-Sentinel article features a large picture of the missing child playing with boxes of opened ammunition.
Vaccines and public education are probably less dangerous.
More Monday news from the Internet:
- Whooping cough epidemic in California
- Starbucks offers free college education to workers
- Girl with scars from dog attack asked to leave KFC due to her appearance
- No more fillings? Dentists have new tooth decay treatment
- Water plant employee caught urinating in drinking water
- City erects statue of Lenin urinating
- Spider-Man statue removed because of erection
- Immigration agents told to not talk to media amid surge of children at border
- 95 percent of new immigrants came for amnesty promise
- New Jersey may outlaw sex with animals
- U.S. lifts restrictions in satellite image quality
- Genetically modified banana may revolutionize child health
About the Author
News to Me is a blog (not a news article) written Monday-Friday and any other day George finds spare time to do such a thing. George has been a local news editor with The Atlanta Journal-Constitution since 1999. Earlier attempts at journalism included stops in Valdosta, Cordele and Tifton. A lifelong resident of Georgia, he was raised in Berrien County. He’s fond of guitars, homemade beer and finding interesting news nuggets on the wire, Internet and Twitter.