In a scene that hopefully resembled a Monty Python skit, British police raided a pub this week trying to locate the ‘Holy Grail.’
As any member of the Illuminati will happily tell you, the Holy Grail is a cup, bowl or chalice that Jesus allegedly drank from before being crucified. According to legend, the cup made it to England but was lost. Knights, religious experts and Indiana Jones have been searching for it ever since with equal success.
The object sought by British police is a frail wooden bowl known as the Nanteos Cup, the Voice of America tells us. That famed relic has been attributed with healing powers since the 19th century and some consider it to be the Holy Grail.
In the movies, the theft of such a valuable object would have been the work of the Oceans 11 team, not a British chap looking for a quiet pint of ale at the Crown Inn, a village pub in the rural English county of Herefordshire.
“We get a few rogues and scallywags in the pub, but no one who’s quite on the level of stealing a priceless ancient artifact,” said Crown Inn landlady Di Franklyn.
A team of eight police officers and a dog turned the pub “upside down” looking for the cup but found nothing. They even used cameras to look under the floorboards.
Hopefully the police shared the camera images with the local health inspector.
If the Holy Grail actually exists, the Nanteos Cup probably isn’t it. Experts have dated the cup to 1,400 A.D., says The Mirror.
How did the Nanteos Cup get stolen? It wasn’t purloined from a museum. The Mirror says the family that owns the relic loaned it to a sick elderly woman to help her recuperate and it was stolen from her home in July.
The Mirror is quick to point out that the real Holy Grail may be in one of several other places, including Fort Knox in Kentucky, which houses the largest collection of gold on Earth, but probably no magical chalices.
More news found on Thursday’s Internet:
- Parents riled by student sex education textbook that shows sex toys, bondage
- Russian bombers in U.S. airspace 16 times in 10 days
- Illegal marijuana farmers stealing California’s precious water
- Border Patrol agent: Federal government releasing murderers in U.S.
- Man fined for pretending to be cemetery ghost
- Deputy was texting before hitting, killing ex-Napster exec on bike
- Pastor: America rewards laziness with welfare
- Homeland Security official caught in child sex sting
- Parents killed, cooked and packed into lunchboxes
- Hamas uses Christian church as base to fire rockets at Israel
- N.J. cop says Obama doesn’t follow Constitution so he doesn’t either