UPDATE: 11 people have now been arrested in the attack. One suspect is 19, the other 10 are minors ranging in age from 14 to 16.
The next time you are in Memphis near Poplar Plaza, get the hell out of there.
Various local news stations are reporting three people were beaten Saturday when an estimated 100 youths swarmed a parking lot and beat anyone who didn’t run.
A video taken by one witness shows the swarm and features the witness laughing as the mob gets a “white dude.”
The mob was comprised of black and white people, said WREG-TV, and a witness said two of the three victims were black.
One group is shown stomping one victim until he can no longer move and then hitting him with Kroger pumpkins before a security guard steps in.
That victim is a Kroger employee who tried to stop the mob from attacking customers, says WREG.
The gang of teens had gathered at the shopping center to play a game called “point them out, knock them out,” which involves someone pointing at someone and the crowd beating them.
“There was no real reason behind it,” said one witness, who said it is the second such incident he has seen in a week.
All victims have been released from the hospital.
A 15-year-old teen was arrested and charged with the equivalent of aggravated assault, WREG reported Monday. The teen, who does not attend school, was out of jail on gun-related charges. In the video (and picture above), the arrested teen is the one in the lime green shirt kicking the person on the ground, police say.
Since the suspect is a minor his name will not be released and technically he cannot be charged with a crime. As odd as it sounds, when the suspect turns 18 he will be able to honestly say he’s never been convicted of a crime when applying for a job. He can also legally purchase a gun.
Memphis Police Director Toney Armstrong said the incident is extremely troubling, especially since it came just days after the city’s youth violence prevention forum.
WARNING: Racist comments will be deleted.
More news I found Monday:
- Russian bombers practice cruise missile strikes on U.S.
- 3 nuns found murdered in convent
- Unidentified respiratory virus infecting kids across America
- Ebola making a comeback in areas it was once contained
- U.S. military to help contain Ebola outbreak in Africa
- Judge who warns teens on dangers of drunk driving gets DUI
- Florida’s cute and cuddly ‘puss caterpillar’ is venomous
- Rare white lobster caught days after rare blue lobster
- Jupiter’s moon Europa has tectonic plates
- Boy finds 3,000-year-old sword in China