Taking a gun to church may seem prudent — you never know when someone may get a little frisky with the offering plate or tragically misunderstand Jeremiah 50:25 — but it has been known to backfire.
In Kentucky, a man accidentally shot his mom during a wedding, reports WPSD.
Church pianist Jeanine King said “My initial reaction was, ‘Oh my goodness. Could that possibly be a gun?’ Then my next thought was, ‘Gosh, who’s in the church with a gun?'”
Who? Well that would be McCracken County detective Cory Golightly.
Golightly, who may be related to a Truman Capote character, was adjusting his jacket during the wedding ceremony when a gun fell out and discharged, according to a fireman who is also a custodian at Bardwell Baptist Church in Carlisle County.
The gun is not one issued for use by the sheriff’s department, said the McCracken County sheriff.
The detective’s mom, who was not identified, was hospitalized and is in stable condition. The news article doesn’t tell us who was getting married or why the detective felt a gun was necessary in church.
Golightly is on paid leave pending an investigation by Carlisle County investigators.
As you likely know, Georgia, in 2014, enacted a law making it legal for those with a carry permit to take guns into churches, bars, school zones, government buildings and other places.
“People who follow the rules can protect themselves and their families from people who don’t follow the rules,” said Gov. Nathan Deal at the time.
Maybe those with less gun training will have fewer shooting accidents. Moms, girlfriends, wives and children certainly hope so.
More news I found interesting:
- D.A.R.E. doesn’t understand satire
- S.C. police won’t release video of fatal police shooting
- 87-year-old grandmother told $41 million slot machine jackpot worth $1.85
- Gas station manager blows undercover lottery investigator’s cover
- Actress caught having sex in public has to apologize for alleging racial profiling
- Cattle rustler steals expensive cows, replaces them with cheaper ones
- Size of Milky Way (galaxy, not candy bar) upgraded; now as big as Andromeda
- America’s oldest veteran is 109, celebrates with cigars and cheeseburgers
- Prehistoric predatory cockroach found trapped in amber
- Couple may get 15 years for sex on Florida beach